"How to Keep Your Children Safe from Asbestos Exposure in the Home", a Guest Post

Last week, I received an email from Rachel, asking me if I would be interested in posting an article about the dangers of asbestos and how to keep families safe from exposure. I definitely said "Yes!". On of my blog philosophy is to help moms out there on how to keep safe their children in all ways. So, without further a-do, here's the article written by Ms. Rachel Walker from MesotheliomaLawyerCenter.org.

How to Keep Your Children Safe from Asbestos Exposure in the Home

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), asbestos is considered a dangerous mineral because it is known to cause diseases such as asbestosis and mesothelioma. Throughout much of the 20th Century, asbestos was widely used in many industries to protect people and property from fire or as insulation and soundproofing. Consequently, there are many homes today that still have appliances that were built when asbestos was heavily used. However, you can help keep your children safe from asbestos exposure by learning where it may be found and determining if your home contains it.  

Appliances that Asbestos Can Be Found In 

Asbestos is a term used to identify a group of six minerals that occur naturally all over the world. People have used asbestos throughout history, but its production and distribution peaked between the 1940s and late 1970s. Asbestos has since killed thousands, and many families are currently involved in mesothelioma lawsuits against asbestos companies

Because asbestos-containing materials were used in various industries and products until the EPA warned about its health risks, millions of Americans have lived in homes or attended schools where asbestos was present.

Asbestos was used in many appliances that can be found in older homes. Due to its ability to resist heat, asbestos was a major ingredient in the insulation made for pipes, furnaces, and stoves. It was also added to building materials used in ceilings and walls. Normally, asbestos is not harmful if it’s intact and not in any state where the fibrous dust can become airborne. Yet, if it’s friable, it can become dangerous, especially for kids who might unwittingly unsettle it.

How Asbestos is Disturbed in the Home 

Asbestos used in appliances and in other fixtures in homes can usually go undisturbed unless repairs and/or renovations are needed. In these instances, the fine fibers of asbestos may become airborne. Even if children just roughhouse around appliances and fixtures, there is a slight chance that these fibers will become disturbed. 

If you need to do repairs and you have appliances that are over 20-years-old, it’s imperative to contact an asbestos abatement professional before beginning any work. They will be able to not only let you know if your home contains asbestos, but they’ll be able to abate it before repairs begin. 

In the meantime, make sure your children do not play anywhere near any appliances, fixtures, or areas that may possibly have asbestos, regardless if it’s contained or not. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Diseases Registry (ATSDR) states that kids have a much longer timespan in which asbestos-related diseases can develop, so it’s imperative to ensure they are safe beforehand.

To know more, visit MesotheliomaLawyerCenter.org.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your footprints below: