Drinking During Pregnancy

Two of my co-workers are pregnant now. Before, when they're not yet pregnant, these ladies love to drink after shift, just to relax and put away stress. Well, they better stop their drinking session in the meantime!

photo credit: pernod-ricard.org
Science Daily reported that there's no such thing as alcohol level for expectant moms. 

Researchers from the University of California, Riverside worked with laboratory mice and found that those whose mothers consumed alcohol during pregnancy showed symptoms of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). 

What is FASD?
It is a condition which includes altered gene expression and disrupted cognitive network development specifically in the brain's frontal cortex, which is responsible for decision-making, logical thinking, emotions, balance, as well as motor, sensory, and verbal skills. Children with FASD may also have facial deformities such as wide-set eyes, a short nose, low nasal ridge, and thin upper lip. 

Researchers strongly suggest avoiding drinking any form of liquor as during pregnancy.

“Would you put whisky in your baby's bottle? Drinking during pregnancy is not that much different,” says lead researcher Kelly Huffman. “If you ask me if you have three glasses of wine during pregnancy will your child have FASD, I would say probably not. If you ask if there will be changes in the brain, I would say, probably. There is no safe level of drinking during pregnancy.”

I admit, when I was pregnant with Bunso, I got drunked, but to make things clear, it's before I knew that I was pregnant. And after I learned that I am carrying Bunso, I got scared and I prayed everyday that she come out healthy. Well, she's been healthy ever since and I am very thankful! Look at her now with my Lolo:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your footprints below: